How Do You Organize by Color?

How To Organize Your Closet by Color You are reading this article because you want...

How To Organize Your Closet by Color

You are reading this article because you want to organize by color, right? Congratulations, you’ve made a great decision. And the great part is, whether you are organizing a bookshelf, linen closet or wardrobe, you can use pretty much the same process throughout all of your home. However, for this blog we are organizing our closet by color.

But before we dive into the color theory, be sure to start off on the right foot. First and foremost, empty your closet. Next, get rid of anything that you haven’t worn, doesn’t fit or is stained or torn. Finally, take everything off the hangers and wash it. This may seem unnecessary, but I promise, it’s going to make your finished project much more rewarding.

organize by color t-shirts in ROY-G-BIV

Organize by Color Using Roy-G-Biv

Now that everything is clean, and you only have items left that you will use, it’s time for the fun part. Just remember throughout this process ROY-G-BIV. This stands for, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet. White and black can go where you choose.

Choose whether to organize by shirts, pants, dresses and skirts and then color, or just by color. After all, this is your closet, so do what works best for you. I’ll be organizing by color and then clothing type. First, put everything in piles by color, next hang them up in the closet one color at a time starting with the whites on your left. For this, I put white shirts on the far left, followed by white pants, skirts, dresses etc… I tried to go from shortest to longest in one color family.

Using the ROY-G-BIV acronym follow suit with the rest of your clothes, ending with black being on the far right. Just remember Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet and this will be a breeze.

 

Organize by color how to organize by color

Reasons to Organize by Color

Organizing by color has many benefits. It speeds up your morning routine, allows you to dress for your mood, and helps you make informed shopping decisions too!

How does shopping tie into your organizing benefits? Well, now that you have all your colors neatly in a row, you may realize that you have a very limited wardrobe. I mean, if 70% of your clothes are black, and the other 30% blue, you may want to consider expanding your color pallet.

It’s possible that, without realizing it, you were constantly buying the same colors repeatedly. However, now that you see where you’ve been missing out, you can purposely add other colors into the mix. As a result, you can now go shopping for what you need.

And if you think that you only look good in black or blue, think again. Remember, there’s a color in every part of the rainbow for you. I highly recommend doing a color analysis to find colors that look great on you. They also even sell little swatch books that easily fit into your purse. My color is soft summer, what’s yours?

Related Posts

Comments are closed.